Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bargain Alpaca



A nice day today, dinking about and going to see Watchmen (my review: AWESOME.) Went to Tuesday Morning and found this stuff for $3 a skein--100% alpaca! 100 yards! So I bought the 4 skeins that were there.


The color in real life is more green, so the yarn is blotches of teal. I'd like to try overdying it to something I'd like better--would using red give me something purply? My first thought was to use Kool-Aid because it's cheap and as far as I know doesn't need jars of powdered lye or anything else that would be a danger to myself and others, and I hear it leaves the yarn smelling all fruity, which makes me happy. From poking around a bit in Ravelry, though, it looks like you can use Wilton colors too, and heaven knows I have a right smart of those.


The yarn feels like it's been in the bottom of a bin for a while, very matted as alpaca is wont to get. I rewound the skein that came without a label and it looks like this now:


It looks more promising this way but it's still too teal for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment