Saturday, February 28, 2009

Duh.

Last night I heard a friend of mine was in the hospital, and it wasn't until bedtime I thought, "I can make her a pair of slippers!" Pocketbook slippers, that is, out of a skein of dark blue Bernat Satin that I bought one day because I just had to buy some yarn.

The Bernat Satin is very soft, almost too soft to make me believe it will stand up to any hard wear, but I think Nonie's going to be laid up for a while so that may not be an issue. It's 100% genuine acrylic, so it won't have care issues. I made my first couple pairs of slippers with Lion Brand Wool-Ease, which I think would be less sweaty but not as soft, and I remember the six inches of knitting around the foot were a purgatorial endeavor, but I just started this pair this morning and I'm already halfway through.

My great-grandmother made pocketbook slippers for me, once with very long strings to imitate ballet toe shoes. I wore them until the heels wore out, which was fine, because when I broke my leg in 3rd grade the hole fit over the heel in my walking cast and the slippers kept my toe warm. It was a plaster cast, which tells you how old I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment